Montana LLC Annual Filing Requirements: The Complete Guide



An LLC must file an annual return with the Montana Secretary of State’s Office. This includes filing a Statement of Information, Financial Report, Notice of Change of Address or Name, and Certificate of Good Standing. These documents help ensure compliance with state laws and regulations.

The Statement of Information contains basic information about the LLC, such as the date it was formed, how many members it has, what type of organization it is, and where it is located. The Financial Report provides detailed information about the finances of the LLC, including income statements, balance sheets, and profit/loss statements.

A Notice of Change of Address must be filed whenever there is a significant change in the location of the LLC, like moving or changing ownership. A Certificate of Good Standing is required to verify that the LLC is still operating properly.

File Your Montana LLC Documents

The process of forming an LLC in Montana is fairly simple. However, there are some things you need to know about it. First, you must decide whether you want to do it yourself or hire someone else to help you. Second, you must ensure you comply with all the requirements set forth by the state. Third, you need to understand how much money you need to spend. Lastly, you need to find a reasonable attorney. If you don’t follow these steps carefully, you might waste a lot of time and money.

First, you need to decide what type of entity you want to start. Do you plan to sell products or offer services? Are you planning to provide consulting services? Or perhaps you want to open a restaurant? In addition, you need to choose the correct name for your LLC. A common mistake people make is choosing a name that is too similar to another existing company. For example, if you chose the name “Mountain View Restaurant,” you could run into legal problems because Mountain View Restaurant already exists. On the other hand, if you choose a unique name like “Lucky Dog Café,” you won’t run into any issues.

Next, you need to figure out where you want to register your LLC. This decision depends largely on where you plan to conduct most of your business activities. If you plan to operate primarily out of one location, such as your house, you probably don’t need to register your LLC. However, if you plan to operate out of multiple locations, you need to register your LLC in every place where you plan to operate. This way, you can avoid having to deal with different types of paperwork.

See also  SOS Filing Number Montana: Everything You Should Know

Third, you need to determine how much money you need. To calculate the amount of money you need, you need to consider the following factors:

• How many employees do you plan to hire?

• What percentage of your revenue do you anticipate being generated by sales taxes?

• How much income tax do you expect to pay annually?

Annual Report

person sitting on chair holding iPad

The annual report is required for every corporation doing business in Montana. This includes corporations incorporated under the laws of another state that conduct business in Montana. Corporations are required to file an annual report within 90 days of the end of each calendar year.

Corporations are required to submit their annual report via electronic filing through the Montana ePass System. Electronic filings are free for small businesses and nonprofits. For large companies, there is a fee associated with each submission. Companies can pay by credit card online, or mail a check to the address listed on the form.

Companies that fail to timely file their annual report could face penalties. Penalties include fines up to $1,500 per day for late reporting. Additionally, the corporation could lose its corporate status.


Create your LLC Corporation with just 3 easy steps


State Business Tax

Most LLCs are pass-through tax entities. If you’re thinking about forming an LLC, knowing what state taxes apply is important. In some states, there’s no extra tax or fee added to LLC income or profits.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) considers a passthrough tax entity to be a corporation. This means that most LLCs are considered corporations for federal income tax purposes. However, the IRS doesn’t consider an LLC a corporation for federal tax purposes.

For example, if you form an LLC in New York and make $1 million in profit, you’ll pay New York state corporate income tax on the $1 million in profit. But you won’t owe any federal income tax because an LLC isn’t considered a corporation.

If you form an LLC in California and make 1 million dollars in profit, you’ll owe California state corporate income tax on $1 million in profit plus a franchise tax. You’ll also owe sales tax on the $1M in profit. And if you want to deduct expenses associated with running your LLC, you’ll have to file Schedule K-1 forms with the IRS.Employer Taxes

The Delaware Office of Revenue Management (DORM) offers several options for businesses to pay state employer taxes. If you are incorporated or operating under the laws of another state, you must apply for a Delaware tax identification number (EIN). This allows you to deduct state income taxes paid from federal returns.

Incorporating in Delaware, you do not need to obtain an EIN. However, if you operate under the laws of another jurisdiction, you must obtain an EIN. A foreign corporation conducting business in Delaware must obtain an EIN regardless of whether it is incorporated in Delaware.

See also  Montana Registered Agent: LLC & Corporation Guide

You cannot use a personal credit card to pay your Delaware employer taxes. Instead, you must use one of the following methods:

• Use a bank account in your name

• Pay with cashier’s check or money order

• File a return electronically

To find out how much you owe, visit

Sales and Use Taxes

Sales taxes vary widely across the United States. Some states levy a flat percentage on all retail transactions; others charge different rates based on where you live. For example, there are eight different types of sales taxes in California. And while some states require retailers to collect sales tax, others do not.

In Montana, there is no general sales tax. Instead, there are four separate sales taxes. A statewide use tax applies to items purchased out of state and brought into the state. An additional three local sales taxes apply to goods sold within the city limits of Billings, Great Falls, Helena, Kalispell, Missoula, Bozeman, Butte, Missoula, Havre, Glendive, Whitefish, Livingston, Libby, Dillon, Wolf Point, Sidney, Malta, Hardin, Big Timber, and many smaller communities.

Registration in the Other States in America

For most states, if you want to start a business in another state, you must register it there. This includes forming an LLC, opening a bank account, and filing taxes. If you are planning to open a business in another state where you don’t reside, you’ll need to do some research about how to set up your corporation.

In Montana, you can form an LLC without establishing a physical presence. You just need to file articles of organization with the secretary of state. However, if you want to establish an office in Montana, you’ll need to register your company.

How Much Does It Cost to Start an LLC in Montana?

Starting a small business in Montana isn’t cheap. You’ll pay a $75 annual filing fee plus additional fees based on the type of entity you choose. If you’re looking to start a limited liability corporation (LLC), there are several different types of licenses/permits you can purchase. Each one costs money. Here’s

What is the filing fee for an LLC in Montana?

There are many different types of legal entity structures available to businesses in Montana. Each one has different benefits and drawbacks, depending on what you want out of your business. If you plan to make significant sales across state lines, you might consider registering your business under the Uniform Commercial Code. This allows you to conduct business without worrying about being sued in multiple states. However, you’ll need to know how to draft contracts properly and collect payments.

If you don’t plan to go cross-state, you might want to consider setting up an LLC. An LLC is like a partnership where each member owns a percentage of the company. You won’t be able to sue anyone in court if someone hurts themselves while working for your business because the injury wouldn’t be considered personal property. Instead, you’d have to bring suit against the members of the LLC.

See also  Montana Certificate of Authority: Everything You Should Know

In choosing the correct legal entity structure for your business, you’ll also need to decide whether or not you want to form a corporation. A corporation is a separate legal person from the people who run it. Corporations can hold assets such as real estate, cars, bank accounts, and even stock shares. They can also issue debt, including loans and mortgages. Corporations are usually formed for tax purposes. For example, corporations often use the S Corporation status to reduce taxes.

The best way to find out what options are available to you is to talk to a lawyer. The law office of David J. Hennelly can help you determine which legal entity structure is best suited for your needs. We offer free consultations, so call today to schedule yours.



Frequently Asked Questions

Why can I not find forms to download for my Montana LLC?

You want to start a business but don’t know where to begin. There are many things to consider, like what type of entity to form—an S Corporation, a sole proprietorship, or a limited liability company (LLC)—and how to file those documents. If you’re looking to incorporate in another state, there are additional steps you’ll need to take.

The good news is that it doesn’t have to be complicated. In fact, most states offer free downloadable forms that you can use to set up your new business. So why do some people still struggle to complete the process? Here are five reasons:

1. They haven’t filed the proper papers.

Many people think they’ve done everything correctly when they’ve actually missed something. For example, if you register your LLC name in one jurisdiction, you must file a statement of organization in every jurisdiction where you plan to operate. Make sure you file your statement of organization with the Secretary of State in each state where you conduct business.

2. They didn’t follow directions.

If you decide to hire a lawyer, ensure he or she knows exactly what you want to accomplish. Otherwise, you could end up paying for unnecessary work. Don’t hesitate to ask questions about filing requirements; your attorney should be able to answer them.

3. They didn’t check their local laws.

Do I have to file taxes for an LLC if it has no income?

An LLC taxed as an S Corp or Partnership would be subject tax to corporate taxation. This includes both federal and state taxes.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top